Thursday, October 16, 2014

Time to begin

The past three weeks have been weeks of upheaval and unrest in my life. With Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and then Sukkot, there have been no new Torah portions read. Rather, we read the Parshiot associated with those particular days. In my own way, I have found meaning in each of these readings, and am incredibly grateful for this time to explore the text. Each reading has been beneficial.

Yet now, we are almost ready to begin again. We have looked inwards towards ourselves and found our own hearts, where we sit and how we wanted to come into the new year. And then we had Sukkot, זמן שמחתנו, the time of our happiness, the end of our harvest season. Wonderfully, that time is followed by Simchat Torah, when we celebrate the conclusion of reading the Torah and the beginning again. We are ready to begin again.

I, for one, am ready to begin again. I have done the personal reflection and have come to a place where I am at least okay with where I stand. The new year stands open and waiting. Time to take it by storm and explore what it has to offer. As the parsha says, בראשית ברא אלוהים, in the beginning, God created. God created many things, at the beginning. We've experienced the beginning of the year, the creation of new friendships and relationships. Now, I am ready to go out and explore, to find my Gan Eden, my garden of Eden and discover it.

This Simchat Torah, I look forward to doing just that. To taking a step back and seeing all the new things, the beginnings I've experienced. I look forward to exploring and discovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment