Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Shiru L'adonai

Shiru L'adonai, kol ha aretz! Shiru L'adonai, shiru shir chadash!
Sing onto God, to all of the earth! Sing onto God a new song! Psalm 98

Last Friday night, I was hosting Shabbat dinner for about 10 friends. We were doing Kabbalat Shabbat and our guitarist hadn't shown up yet. We sat around for a while, unsure whether or not to begin the service, but eventually decided to go ahead and begin. As soon as we started singing, he barged through the door, banging his guitar and apologizing for his tardiness. We excused it and he got set up. Listening to all ten of our voices join together in song or chanting the traditional nusach was an incredibly powerful experience. The voices filled up my tiny apartment and made me feel as though I was going to overflow! I was ecstatic! My apartment had become a home, with the simple experience of a Kabbalat Shabbat service. The music tethered me to my guests of a week ago, bringing me closer to them, recognizing that I am connected to them in more ways than just being in school with them, or our Judaism. We shared an incredibly special and powerful moment. That is the power of music. That is the power of prayer.

"Kol Adonai chotzeiv lahavot eish"
The voice of God lights the flames of fire. Psalm 29

No comments:

Post a Comment