Saturday, November 2, 2013

Jerusalem: an inspiration


There is nothing like Jerusalem to stir up turmoil, excitement, frustration, and just engage the brain.

Thursday night, en route to the holy city, I never expected to find so much fulfillment in two days, but every fiber of me is feeling very much fulfilled and satisfied with all that has transpired.

Friday was the beginning, with an eye-opening trip with T'ruah. We visited Silwan, where Ahmed, a Palestinian facing a very real threat of eviction and house demolition, not to mention the permanent fixture of a bullet  embedded in his leg. Next, Yoni Mizrachi spoke to us about archaeological records and how the artifacts found at Ir David (which in itself possesses a controversial name) may not necessarily be from the time of the kingdom of David. Lastly and most impactful to me was the visit to Sheik-Jarra. Here, we spoke with a lovely Palestinian woman who told us of her experience with the Israeli government and Jews. This beautiful and proud woman demonstrated that she moved to her current house in 1956 and is currently under threat of eviction. Two doors down, we saw the evidence that these evictions were not fiction, but rather hard and true fact. This small neighborhood has slowly been turned into an orthodox enclave, complete with the supposed grave of Shimon haTzadik.

As we stood listening to this woman share her experience, we watched an orthodox woman walk down the street with her three young sons, covered head to toe in a black burka. Having never seen this outfit, I was taken aback and couldn't help but stare. It was explained that this was another way for woman to feel they were maintaining their modesty. To me, it felt like a step too far. We were shown houses taken over by Jews and the cameras surrounding them, in order to 'protect' the Jews. The same explanation was given about the guards provided by the housing ministry: they were simply there to protect. The fact that two people had died in the past few years could never be blamed on them (although it seemed sensible that it would be). All in all, this experience really nagged at me and made me question what I want to believe in in this country, with what I feel comfortable. Most importantly, I felt UNPREPARED TO WELCOME SHABBAT. How could I, when Jews were the persecutors and I felt partly to blamed. Even more, how could I even think of writing a d'var Torah for the week, when this dilemma was real and continued daily in these people's lives.
In looking at the parsha, I found an answer. Rivka is struggling with her pregnancy and asks God what is happening. God's explanation focuses on the two nations within, and what will become of each. God's answer, in Genesis 25:23, provides an example, but one that we shouldn't necessarily utilize: Two nations are in thy womb, And two peoples shall be separated from thy bowels; And the one people shall be stronger than the other people; And the elder shall serve the younger. This answer almost gave me chills, it was so easy to interpret in a way that was against the Palestinian population. Yet these two warring nations must live together, must be in the same place. And that is not the circumstances in this country of Israel. Rather, the Palestinians are continually forcibly evicted from their homes and told to go elsewhere, without compensation.

Nothing about this experience is fair or right, but recognizing the oddity that I was able to find at least something in the text, for this week, that relates to this tragedy was heartening (and scary). Because if I can find an explanation in support of the Palestinians, so can the orthodox find a parek against these people. That's the part I struggle with the most: knowing that there is always another verse, another explanation from the opposite direction. Fortunately, I at least know how I feel and that truth must be told. That is the purpose of this week's drash.

This evening, walking home from a viewing of the woman of the wall documentary with a rabbi whom I had just met a few hours previously, I was recounting my experience to her and she made a comment that really made me think. She assessed that not only is the struggle Rivka experiences in her womb representative of two sons and two nations, but the dilemma we each feel inside of us. We feel the push and pull of what is right and wrong, what we believe in and what we don't. So more importantly, we must remember the internal struggle and allow our hearts to remind us what is right, what wrong, and for what we simply need to ask for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment