Friday, June 15, 2012

Everything's a Little Bit Broken in Israel...

Everything in this country is fascinating. Whether it's the people, the cobble stoned streets, the stores, or even the parks, the entire country has a slightly different way of viewing the world and being viewed by others.
            Wandering the streets of Jerusalem with some of my new friends (Jeff and I have taken to going to the shuk often and then meandering before or after we get there to learn more about the city), I see these rather assertive Israelis waiting calmly for a light to change, signaling for them to cross the street and am shocked. Instead of acting like New Yorkers who cross the street no matter what is going on in the street, as long as a taxi or bus was not shooting through the crosswalk. Even stranger is that these Israelis will cross the street at crosswalks without the little man telling them what to do, but do so by just walking into the street and waiting for cars to stop, which they do, and then the individual crosses the street and goes on with their day. Such a discrepancy!
            Israelis have personalities much like Czech people, at least as I’ve seen. But first, by virtue of the fact that I am a girl, I get paid attention by a veritable plethora of individuals here. The men stare as I cross the street, and then women are rather friendly in passing. The only people who do not bestow kindness upon me are the Orthodox men, who view me as impure and not someone worthy of prayer/equal in prayer. Walking in the shuk, Jeff is often asked by Orthodox men to lay t’fillin. He abstains every time, knowing how much it upsets me that I am not considered worthy of doing so or even someone who could lay. Yesterday, as we were shopping for Shabbat, I commented on my anger at being dismissed and that I wanted to lay t’fillin, so Jeff said he’s buy me some. That pissed me off even more, because I can’t even BUY them, because women wouldn’t have any need for them, would they?
            However, Israelis are for the most part nothing like these people who refuse to acknowledge me now, and will definitely not acknowledge me in five years, once I am ordained. They are wonderful, effusive people who choose to speak Hebrew with me when I request it and try to rip me off in the shuk (part of that is that I don’t speak perfect Hebrew so it feels as if I am almost asking to be ripped off. Soon I’ll know enough to have a legitimate conversation and therefore be able to haggle and ACTUALLY understand when someone isn’t giving me a fair deal (or when I am not giving someone a fair deal)). Honestly, although I am not being given the benefit of the doubt and therefore being subjected to traditional American standards (that I am a dumb American and easy to rip off), I still love the shuk. The prices are cheaper then any supermarket, and the atmosphere there is so ebullient. Going up to a shop, finding the vegetables or fruits that I want and then having to wait because the shopkeeper is too immersed in conversation with his neighbor is one of the loveliest experiences. Not because I am being kept waiting, but because I am seeing real Israelis in action, the people who cannot be bothered by their livelihood to stop discourse with a friend. That is one of the meanings of peoplehood and culture of Israel. Plus, people are rushing around, trying to find what they want, pushing through the throng with a bubbe cart or elbow, only aware of their mental list and then getting home in time to cook dinner.
            Car drivers are a completely different story. They drive like maniacs, only to stop for people in the light-less crosswalks. They find the smallest space they can possibly fit into, in order to get where they are going the fastest. Horns honk at all hours of the night, resounding in my apartment and furthering congestion, rather then alleviating it.
            Of course, not all aspects of the city are endearing. The streets often smell of urine and poop litters the sidewalks (as well as actual litter). People do yell and are often unwilling to communicate with me as a foreigner. I am treated as dumb, rather than just someone who knows the language. And I always get looks for speaking English too loudly.
            However, this city has very quickly become a place that I consider home. I feel comfortable here. The atmosphere is one that cultivates Judaism, although not necessarily religiously. No matter someone’s religious upbringing, he or she speaks Hebrew and can easily access Talmud or Mishna without a second thought (besides the actual thought of understanding and digesting such an ancient manuscript). The people are in general a wonderful people and the tradition that has been cultivated for years captures me and connects me to both my past and my future, leading me into a further sense of the world/my world.
            I love this country. Living here might be a stretch and my Hebrew is definitely not up to par as of current, but I love being here. The language is beautiful and I am learning more each day. Becoming a Rabbi seems to be the right choice. At least I eat up the learning and language. The other, more introspective stuff will come hereafter, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment