Friday, June 22, 2012

Tactility, taste, talking and trading (money, that is): The Shuk!


Of course you wanted to hear about the cuisine! Israelis have a much better healthy tendency than Americans, due to the fact that the food here is so fresh. I go to the shuk (open market) at least 2 times a week to get the freshest fruits, vegetables, spices and more. Honestly, whatever I can think of that I need in my apartment, whether to clean the floor or cook dinner in, I can find it there. Most of the shopping there is reserved for food, though. I love the fact that the fruits and vegetables are so cheap!
            One of my friends loves to experiment with his cooking and out of some mutually formed respect, we venture the shuk together. He has taught me to smell the peppers to see which are the most fresh, while I in turn am the one to spot the best deals on cucumbers (they are pretty cheap, but often come rather flacid, so we have to be careful who we buy them from). But hey, 4 NIS for 6 cucumbers is a wonderful price, and keeps both our apartments very happy! Also, we can try the cherries and other smaller food as we walk through, in order to make sure we are buying food that is both fresh and tasty. That makes the entire experience all the more pleasant! I love the freshest cherries and picking up a piece of dried pineapple! I get to experience foods here that I have never had, or always been too scared to buy in case I didn't like them. I now know I like dried strawberries and mango, but not ginger as much.
            Another wonderful thing about the shuk is that the same people are in the same places everyday. Jeff and I have found the person we consider "our" spice guy and "our" hummus guy. Amos, the hummus guy is absolutely fantastic, although tends to make fun of my desire to speak Hebrew all the time with his just as strong desire to break out his English! However, he knows us now, jokes with us, and gives us advice, free samples, and the freshest food! He also helps correct my Hebrew. The spreads we get there could be meals in and of themselves! I always pick up a thing of מתבוחה (tomato-y, spicy vegetable dip), hummus, hummus (chick peas are also called hummus in this country), and this week I tried baba ghanoush. All of it is spectacular! Plus I always have to get some mozzarella cheese (there is nothing like knowing you are getting the freshest cheese!
            The spice guy is not specifically as friendly, but we love his shop and always go there for the spices. It may not be the best place, but it is cheap and we know we will get quality. As Jeff is much more adventurous than I, he will pick out random spices with which to experiment, while I try to stick to the more known ones. Something tells me that as I get more comfortable, I will venture further into the world of cooking. It also helps that I don't always know what I am getting! For instance, the other day I was trying to make fajita chicken, and successfully bought coriander or oregano, or something (whatever spice looks like parsley when not chopped-oh, cilantro!). However, when we got home, Ted tried all of the spices and tried a different one that was fiery hot! It turns out he tried the one that wasn't the cilantro, but thought it was. Basically, all of our spices can become something very different, very quickly. No matter, each meal and trip to the shuk is an adventure.
            The fact that you don't even have to barter in the shuk because things are so cheap is another advantage! But I still barter sometimes anyway, for the bigger stuff, because it is fun. For example, I tried to bring the pita guy down from 5 shekels for 10 to four shekels for 10, but he wasn't having it. Eventually, I just gave up. The next time, I sent Jeff because the guy got so mad at me! Hopefully we'll get them back to 5 shekels for 10 and I can get back on their good side!
            No matter, I will keep venturing into the shuk and trying new things!
            Israelis do eat fried foods, which has been a problem for me. The biggest problem is in restaurants, where even when something is grilled it is often layered in so much oil that I have to blot it off. I know it looks weird and don't want to do it, but it isn't about fear. Its honestly about having gotten one too many stomach aches that I am not willing to do that to myself again. I am working on ordering ungreasy things, and will hopefully learn how to say that in Hebrew, to make the whole thing easier. Basically, I just have to be careful what I order. And can't eat out too much too close together. The falafel and schwarma (yes, I have eaten lamb and enjoyed it, as long as I don't think about it too much) are both WAY too greasy for me, but I love both treats, so am willing to indulge every once in a while. My biggest weakness is when it comes to fries, which I will eat like nobody's business. Unfortunately, those are things that tend to make me the most sick! It means I have to stop myself, which is sometimes hard, but I am learning, and figuring out and yes, still making mistakes.
            Another great adventure I went on, which surprised even me, was going into a cafe. These places have some of the most delectable sweets, which I have always been afraid of and therefore avoided the complete place like the plague. However, I was with a friend who wanted something, so we went in. I didn't get anything at first, but felt like I was chickening out, so we went back. I wanted ice cream, nothing else, but ended up buying ice cream AND a sweet treat for later. That cake thing, reminiscent of tiramisu was one of the most decadent sweets I have had in a very long time. So long, fear of cafes! I need to learn to appreciate you and will soon be a frequent customer in you! Soon I will venture into the world of frozen drinks, but not yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment