Friday, June 29, 2012

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us." -Marianne Williamson

I've become interested in the Olympics recently. Actually, a specific sport has brought the olympics closer to the forefront of my thoughts. The road to the Olympics, as well as the immense power that comes with being an elite gymnast fascinates me. I've spent most of my free time here watching gymnastics (which coincidentally happens very late into the night).

However, today I was watching an introduction to the Olympic contenders video and this quote at the top of this post was spoken. It spoke to me. All of these gymnasts feel their power every time they go out on the mat, the bars, the beam, or any of the other apparati. The sport breeds strength of will and determination, passion and skill. It ingrains a person with such dedication and motivation, which inspires me every time I see it.

The quote gave me pause. I considered that we worry so much about how we present ourselves and what others think of us. We are constantly trying to measure up to others and be the best self we can. If we spent half as much time thinking about how great we actually are and how much we are truly capable of, instead of worrying about other people, we might actually be better off! Indeed, we may be happier, stronger, more secure people. And the more we can feel that power, beauty and strength, the more we are capable of and the more we will believe in our abilities.

As I am not solidified in my opinions and ideas, I relish feedback and opinions. Do other people have thoughts on this idea?

1 comment:

  1. I love your posting and the observation about ourselves. We think so poorly of ourselves at times...it is awesome to read a post that takes the opposite approach.

    That said, your blog jogged another thought that is connected to the upcoming Olympics and also about how others are perceived...and interested in your take and of those in Israel. This is the 40th anniversary of the murder of Israeli Olympians by Palestinian terrorists. Should there be an event-wide moment of silence to commemorate that horrific moment and memorialize the athletes murdered? They came in peace to a place of peace and were murdered for their religious and national identities. Such tragedy should be remembered. To offer another quote: Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete